Sunday 11 August 2013

Why did no one tell me I needed a shave? Oh, yeah, I'm single

Found myself in an exceptionally cheery mood this morning on twitter. I was wishing one friend a Happy Anniversary and hoping they had a good meal out to celebrate and suggesting to another friend that her and her husband do something silly, like roll down a hill, hand in hand.

So, there I was, sitting in a pair of boxers and a t-shirt, waiting on the washing machine to finish, so I could have a shower without the water going hot and cold on me, being really happy at the thought of my friends preparing for their day of doing things together. I rubbed my chin and thought, bugger, I have not shaved since I went out for a nice lunch on Thursday and designer stubble had been replaced with whiskers!! On top of that, a friend called me 'jolly'. Jolly with whiskers-help!!



When i lived with a partner, yes, there was the odd day that I could get away with being a bit of a slob but usually, we would have something planned to do, so, shower and shave was first thing I did in the morning, rather than three coffees, a couple of cigarettes and an hour or two on twitter.

I then spoke to two female friends, who shall remain nameless, as I don't want them to think I am gossiping. Both are single and I think are happy with that. One told me her idea of relaxing was fluffy slippers and the other said, it's Sunday, comfy knickers day. (Are my friends more like Bridget Jones than I realised?).

So, while my married friends were off hill rolling or whatever couples do on a weekend, I was looking in a mirror and asking myself, "Do I suit a beard?"  Thankfully the ghost of partners past were sitting on my shoulder to remind me that whiskers, especially grey ones, put at least five years on you. As the razor made contact with the lathered cheeks, I thanked each and every one of them for everything they ever did, everything that we ever did as couples (well, the good bits)
Then, the kettle was back on, coffee made, cigarettes in my pocket and out into the sunshine with a newspaper.

Single life does have some benefits

2 comments:

  1. *hides manky old slippers* ! Lovely post David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth, was just a little reflection on single life, pro's and cons and making that bit of an effort :)

      Delete