Tuesday 20 August 2013

Warning. This is a food blog and may upset someone

When I first started writing my blog, I announced that I would split them between the personal and the food related. Just looking back on my posts, I realise that I have to date, only written one piece on food. However, as my food is personal, as in creating it was my escape from the world of cancer and child protection work, I quickly forgave myself and I hope anyone bothering to read this will too.

I have been very fortunate, over the past few weeks, to have been receiving one to one tuition from some of the Countries top chefs. Sworn to secrecy as to who, but watch out for an announcement around November time. They quickly reminded me what it was that drew me to cooking in the first place, which was flavours. Looking at combinations to see what foods, herbs, and spices go together and they have now got me including wild berries and the likes to my dishes.

Here is an example, although you cannot see the base of wild mushroom and blood orange. Photography course for me next I think.

It is a citrus thyme mash, which was served with salmon cooked with wild berries and cooked over pine kernels and wild mushrooms. (Sorry for the lack of finished photo but was not supposed to be taking any :)

I have also been sent two lovely Persian dishes to try this weekend and again will put my own slant on it with flavours in mind and will hopefully be able to do the dishes justice although they would be so much better with a fresh fig, Ruth :)

Baking an oat and linseed bread at the moment and have introduced some fresh apricot all chopped finely in to it.
My final words in this post however, go to the lovely Liz from @smileypetz who has taken on the mantle of protoge and in my opinion surpassed me in the finished product, all she needs to do now is throw away those recipes and make dishes up from her own head, something she was able to do with a recent challenge I set her.
Paprika roasted sweet potato, with grilled leaks, beetroot jelly and Orange and Shrimp vinaigrette


Not bad from someone who three or four months ago, claimed she could not cook.

So there you go, a food blog, I can do it :)

2 comments:

  1. Mash mash wonderful mash nothing quite like it it certainly beats smash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a mash lover anyway, but that sounds delicious!!!
    Very exciting, with regards to your announcement!

    ReplyDelete